1. THANK YOU all for praying for the situation with our new little guy at the institution. Please keep praying for his health, as well as for the impact of that night. The impact is far-reaching, relationally, politically, and spiritually. I know I sound vague, but I gotta be. (Any former youth groupers remember the “unspoken” prayer request? Ha!) Just keep praying, pretty please. Thanks 🙂
2. School is going great for the kids! We have gone from daily tears to smiles and declarations that “This was the best day!”. Of course if you ask, Addy and Ezra will tell you that school is “so boring”. But, they are making friends and feeling comfortable and understanding more each day. Our friend, Romana, comes each day at 4:30 to help them with their homework and she is saving our lives, one story problem at a time. I really do like our school and I am so thankful that God has given our kids a safe place to land and grow.
3. Jed and Vladik return today! FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY! I didn’t mention it here, but we had a bit of an immigration fiasco last month. We are applying for permanent residency and we were missing one apostille. We didn’t know it, and Jed had to leave the country. You can only be in Ukraine for 90 days out of 180 days without a visa or residency, and he met his limit. So, in the dead of night we made a run for the border. Think Sound of Music, but much less romantic. Think tears and a trashed house and frantic calls to friends to take Bluebell at the last second. We spent a few days in Budapest as a family, and then I returned home with four of the kids, while Jed and Vladik couch-surfed throughout Europe, waiting till Jed could get on the other side of his 180 days. Finally, today, after 33 days and 10 countries, Jed and Vladik are coming home! Many thanks to our gracious friends all over the continent who have cared for my boys so well. What would we do without you all?
4. We are hiring a friend to teach Vladik individual lessons at school. I’m so excited and hopeful for him! Starting next Monday he will go to school with the other kids in the morning, and his teacher will accompany him. He will do music, PE, and art with Addy’s class (fifth grade), and then his teacher will give him his own lessons for the rest of the time. Vladik will attend school half day, 4 days a week. I’m working on making the lesson plans and it’s quite the job, but necessary. Vladik wants to learn, he wants to go to school like the other kids- and he should! I think he’s going to love it. I’ll keep you posted!
5. Today we re-submit our residency documents. Hopefully all is in order…otherwise the 4 kids and I will meet our 90 day limit. Yeah, let’s not think about that. Everything will be fine. Everything will be just fine. No need to worry….ahem. Yikes.
6. Guess who saved my life this past month? GRAMMY!!!! When Jed’s parents found out that I would be without Jed again, and this time here in Ukraine, Grammy hopped on a plane and rescued me. Seriously, if Grammy hadn’t come my kids would be running with the wild dogs in the street. Things were at critical mass around here. She has cooked every meal and washed every dish since her arrival. I bow at her feet. 🙂
7. For all the Bluebell-lovers out there, I’m happy to report that Bluebell is doing just fine. She is happy and obedient and just a joy to our whole family. She was a bit bored so we found her some new chewies at the grocery store. Cow hoof, anyone?
Welp, Jed and Vladik are on their way home from the airport, so I better go. Thanks all, for loving us and praying for us. This has been a bit of a tough season, but we know that God’s plans are in motion and our trust is in Him!
Such a good letter! I like the honesty and open way you communicate. Praying Gods blessing on you and all the endeavors you undertake. Ardelis
So amazing Kim!
From a very small and dark world to literally all over the world… Pictures of your Vladik in front of these beautiful places speaks so loudly of God’s promise to exceedingly provide beyond our expectations! Thank you for sharing your life with all of us!!!