A couple days ago I got the best message from an American couple that live in Kyiv. I met them briefly on a trip to Ukraine before we moved here. Throughout the years they have followed the work and sent encouraging notes here and there to let us know that they pray for us. (Those kinds of notes are the best notes, by the way)
Last winter when it all hit the fan and we had to immediately remove Anton from our house, they let me know that they had been praying for Anton every night, and would continue to do so. In that terrible time, it was such a giant encouragement to hear that they were praying faithfully for our precious guy.
That brings us to a couple of days ago when I got another message from the couple letting us know that through all these months they have continued to pray for Anton every night. I was so shocked to read that! In that moment I was able to let them know that actually, Anton has really been struggling the past couple of weeks. They were thankful to know so they could understand better how to pray for him. It made me wish I had been sharing more about Anton with them all along.
Then I had an idea!
As we’ve been planning our transition off of social media, we have been trying to think of ways for the Wide Awake community to stay engaged. I love the “back and forth” we have on social media and I really love that so many of you feel that you truly “know” our boys. That is a beautiful thing, to know our boys have cheerleaders in their corner that rejoice with us in every little victory and cry with us when times are tough. I don’t want to lose that part of community. It is an important piece at the heart of this work: to know and be known.
I would love to gather like-minded people together into groups that would celebrate, cheer on, pray for, and share the beauty of each of our boys. I’m thinking we need a “Team Boris”, “Team Ruslan”, “Team Anton” and “Team Vlad”. Then as more boys are added to our Wide Awake Family, we can gather teams for them as well. We probably need to gather a “Team Sasha” too, seeing as how Jed will soon be his guardian. Woot!
What does it mean to join a team?
- We will send each team member a postcard of their boy that they can put on their fridge as a daily reminder of the precious life across the ocean.
- I will email the teams each month with an update on their boy, prayer points and fun videos and pictures.
- If we’re going through a rough patch I can let the team know and they can pray, support and encourage.
- If there is a big gain for one of our boys, the team will know and be able to celebrate with us. I know it would mean a lot to our team here in Ukraine to hear that support and love from others for the boys that mean so much to them.
- I even had an idea for a live chat with the team and their boy every so often…now that sounds fun!
- Edited to add: I will still give regular updates about all the boys on the blog and in the weekly emails. The “teams” are more about targeted info about that specific boy. You can totally join more than one team!
What do you think? Wanna join a team? We would absolutely love for you to join us in caring for our boys in this way.
How to join?
- Send me a message and let me know which team you would like to join.
- Make sure I have your email address so I can send you the monthly updates.
- If you would like us to send you a postcard, please send us your mailing address as well.
I’m so excited to see what comes of this. This idea was prompted because you all have shown so much love for our boys over the years. Thank you for loving them and for seeing them. Thank you for looking past the diagnoses and seeing the people. I can’t wait to keep sharing them with you and I really can’t wait till we have even more boys to introduce!
Wide Awake is leaving social media on Monday, October 12. But that doesn’t have to be goodbye! We are sending weekly email digests, so all the goodness you usually see on social media lands right in your inbox. Sign up below to get the weekly emails. I promise not to spam you. 🙂
Super cool idea! I’d love to be on a team of one of the 4 boys I “know”, but I think I’ll go with Team Sasha, since he’s new to the fam!
You are so kind. Maybe send her an email, so she can have them all in one collecting place, with your address too. I was tossing around the same, not choosing my “favorite”, so to speak, but where there may be more need, like Sasha.🤷🏼♀️
You can totally be on more than 1 team!
I will add you to Team Sasha. You are welcome to join more than 1 team if you want. Heck, you can be on every team! I just don’t want you inundated with emails from us…ha!
In that case, I take back what I wrote, I totally want to be on every team! I don’t think I could ever get too many emails from you guys 🙂
Love the team idea! I sent a message letting you know who I chose and my mailing address. So excited for this!